457 visa occupations list to be cut!

Over the weekend, the Australian Government announced they will be cutting jobs from the occupations list for 457 visa applicants.  The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)  allows overseas workers and their families to stay in Australia for up to four years through sponsorship by an employer to fill specific positions Australian workers can’t. The list — which includes more than 650 occupations — is currently being reviewed.

Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said “I think the list at the moment is expansive and I think we’ll condense it and that work has already been underway for some time and we’ll have a look at that very soon.”

According to the Immigration Department, cooks were the most popular profession applied for by 457 visa holders, followed by cafe managers, marketing specialists and IT professionals.

Most-nominated-positions-under-457 visa

Most-nominated-positions-under-457 visa

View the full occupations list here. Is your occupation on it?

Start preparing your visa application NOW, before your occupation gets taken off the list. Contact us at Northern Immigration Australia- your immigration law & employment specialists! We have a 100% success rate and have helped many people from around the world to get their visas. Read about our previous clients here!


UPDATE: The below listed 52 jobs may get removed from the Skilled Occupation List. In particular, accountants, engineers, chefs, medical practitioners and lawyers may not be able to apply for skilled migration to Australia in the future.

Right now, the following occupations have been shortlisted for potential removal from the Skilled occupation list:

  • Production Manager (Mining)
  • Accountant (General)
  • Management Accountant
  • Taxation Accountant
  • Actuary
  • Land Economist
  • Valuer
  • Ship’s Engineer
  • Ship’s Master
  • Ship’s Officer
  • Surveyor
  • Cartographer
  • Other Spatial Scientist
  • Chemical Engineer
  • Civil Engineer
  • Geotechnical Engineer
  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Structural Engineer
  • Transport Engineer
  • Electronics Engineer
  • Industrial Engineer
  • Mechanical Engineer
  • Production or Plant Engineer
  • Aeronautical Engineer
  • Agricultural Engineer
  • Biomedical Engineer
  • Engineering Technologist
  • Environmental Engineer
  • Naval Architect
  • Medical Laboratory Scientist
  • Veterinarian
  • Medical Diagnostic Radiographer
  • Medical Radiation Therapist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Podiatrist
  • Speech Pathologist
  • General Practitioner
  • Anaesthetist
  • Cardiologist
  • Endocrinologist
  • Gastroenterologist
  • Intensive Care Specialist
  • Paediatrician
  • Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
  • Medical Practitioners (nec)
  • Barrister
  • Solicitor
  • Psychotherapist
  • Psychologists (nec)
  • Chef*
  • Boat Builder and Repairer
  • Shipwright


What are you waiting for? Hurry up and lodge your visa application before your occupation gets taken off the list! Contact us for assistance.


Facebook Comment


  1. Taku Atazi on March 19, 2017 at 3:15 am

    This is bad. I’m a boat builder. Do I have to be worried?

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 1:08 pm

      Hello Taku,

      Thanks for your comment. Have you already applied for your 457? If not, we recommend you start with the application process as soon as possible. There will be changes to the 457 visa program.
      We can help you and your employer with the process. Contact us!

  2. Cheryl Webb on March 19, 2017 at 3:38 am

    Hi there,

    I’m a hairdresser and my employer wants to sponsor me. Do you suggest a 457 visa or a different visa? I don’t want to risk anything.

    Thanks for your help!

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 1:13 pm

      Hi Cheryl,

      Thanks for your comment. You and your employer can apply for a 457 but there are also other visa types that may apply.
      This is subject to your qualifications and work experience, as well as the location of your work place. For example, if you are in regional Australia you have more options.
      You can contact us for more information!

  3. Andrew Smiths on March 19, 2017 at 3:43 am

    Hello Northern Immigration Australia!

    Do I need a skills assessment for a 457 visa?


    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 1:17 pm

      Hello Andrew,

      This depends what you do for work. Only certain occupations require a skills assessment for a 457 application.
      Send us an email to info@northernimmigration.com.au with your occupation and we will advise you!

  4. Christian Abale on March 19, 2017 at 3:43 am

    How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for a 457 visa?
    My friend applied and got refused because he was not eligible.
    Can you help?

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 1:24 pm

      Hi Christian,

      Thanks for your comment. We can conduct an eligibility assessment for you. We assess all the factors required and provide you with advice and recommendations.
      For example, if you are not eligible for a 457, you may be able to apply for other visas. Contact us if you wish to go ahead with the assessment!
      It’s better to invest in an assessment than spend thousands of dollars and get a visa refusal!

  5. Ellie Fulecia on March 19, 2017 at 3:46 am

    When will they cut the list?

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 1:37 pm

      Hi Ellie,
      The Sponsored Occupations Lists are under ongoing review and the government can make changes any time.
      The occupations on the list are subject to demand. For example, if the demand for engineers ceases, the occupation will be removed from the list.
      Are you thinking of applying for a 457 visa? What’s your occupation?

  6. Aron Shlomi on March 19, 2017 at 4:03 am

    Hi there,

    Is there a restriction of countries?

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 7:03 pm

      Hi Aron,

      No, there is no restriction. However, you and your employer have to eligible for it. Feel free to contact us and find out if you are eligible for the 457 visa, or other visas. Also, your employer needs to qualify as a sponsor first before they can nominate you in the relevant occupation.

  7. Anna Zalub on March 19, 2017 at 4:03 am

    Do I need a sponsor for the 457? What if I don’t have sponsor?

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 7:12 pm

      Hi Anna,
      Yes, for the 457 visa you need an employer who is willing and able to sponsor you in a nominated occupation.
      We can help you finding a sponsor. Where in Australia do you want to live and work?
      Alternatively, we may even find a visa suitable for you where you don’t need a sponsor! There are many options!!
      Contact us so we can help you!

  8. Kelly Burl on March 19, 2017 at 4:08 am

    Dear Northern Immigration Australia,

    I currently hold a 457 visa but I’m having problems with my employer. Can I change employers on a 457 visa? I don’t want to take any risks, but I also don’t know how much longer I can handle this situation.
    I’d appreciate your advice on this. I’m happy to book a consultation! Is there a long wait? My problem is quite urgent. Also, do you do consultations via Skype?

    Thank you! I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.

    Kind regards,
    Kelly Burl

    • Manuela Seiberth on March 22, 2017 at 8:16 pm

      Hi Kelly,

      Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your employer. Unfortunately, these things happen sometimes. You are not alone! Good news is: you do have options! For example, find a new employer to sponsor you. We are happy to explain the process to you. Or we can also check if you are eligible for a different type of visa so you may not need sponsor. Please contact our office to arrange an appointment for a consultation. We do Skype consultations. Please go to our Contact Us page to find all our contact details.

      Speak soon!

Leave a Comment