Obtaining Australian citizenship is the final step in the migration process. Becoming a citizen of Australia is an important decision as it is a recognition that you are making a commitment to Australia, its people and its way of life.
There are many reasons to become a citizen – the right to vote, right to receive financial assistance from the Australian Government, i.e. while studying or unemployed, ability to work for the Australian public service or in the Australian Defence Force, seek election to parliament, apply for an Australian passport and receive embassy help while overseas.
Australian Citizenship Application
There are different pathways to apply for citizenship. You may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship if you are a:
- spouse or partner of an Australian citizen
- migrant to Australia who has obtained permanent residence
- New Zealand citizen living in Australia
- child of a former Australian citizen
- commonwealth Child Migration Scheme arrival
- refugee or humanitarian entrant
- person born in Papua before independence in 1975
- former Australian citizen looking to resume their citizenship
- adopted outside Australia by at least one Australian citizen
- child of an Australian citizen born overseas.
You may need to meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- be a migrant who is a permanent resident
- satisfy residence requirement
- meet character requirements
- be likely to reside, or continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.
Most people who apply for citizenship will need to pass a citizenship test to demonstrate that they have a basic knowledge of the English language and an adequate knowledge of Australia – its culture, its customs and laws and its democratic beliefs and liberties.
Our citizenship experts at Northern Immigration Australia can help you in assessing your eligibility and suitable pathways for your citizenship.
Our service for citizenship include:
- Assessment of eligibility
- Preparing Citizenship application
- Guiding through the process including citizenship test and citizenship ceremony
If you want to prepare for the citizenship test, we at Northern Immigration Australia (NIA) recommend reading the 'Our common bond' booklet and practising with the 'practice test questions'. Both resources have been provided by the Department of Home Affairs.
Need help with the Australian citizenship?
Talk to one of our experienced registered migration agents today!